On 6th December 2012 I was given the prestigious Mumsnet Blog Of The Day for this post on getting the Liebster Award. Mumsnet have been a huge help in raising my confidence as a writer.
I love receiving accolades – any will do. I’m such a big girly swot; gold stars and certificates totally do if for me. I’d never heard of a Leibster Award so I Googled it. Apparently Liebster means something lovely in German (I didn’t check any other languages). The award is spread virally from blogger to blogger so I will virtually sneeze upon blogs I like! Nice.
Networks and connections fascinate me as well as the fact that total strangers read my stuff without payment or reimbursement of any kind. Who started this? What does the connection tree look like and how many times has this award been back and forth across continents? Continents! Yep. Mind blown. Thanks Ned!
There are 5 Rules I must adhere to:
- Post 11 facts about myself
- Answer the 11 questions the person who nominated me asked
- Choose 11 blogs to pass the Liebster Award on to (must have fewer than 200 followers) and link them to your post
- Go to their page and tell them
- Remember: no tag backs.
I’ll start with – 11 facts about myself
- Many years ago I worked in a gym and taught aerobics.
- Flying dreams and water dreams are my favourites.
- Violence is not the answer and no one has the right to take someones life but I’d kill anyone who tried to hurt my children.
- I had a little brother.
- I’m the worlds worst speller but, I’m told, the best designers can’t spell (or maybe I made that up because I can’t spell).
- I can’t stand Cath Kidston, I don’t bake, and I’d rather go fossil hunting than be messed about with in a spa. “Leave my toes alone woman! The condition of my cuticles is MY business!”
- I am humbled by nature; the wonderful colours of our world and the universe beyond, I respect it. Nature blows my mind.
- My favourite flowers are Orchids
- I have 4 Yamadori Bonsai.
- I lost something when my father died. I’m still looking for it.
- The iron was invented by the devil to torture me.
Neds questions for me to answer:
1. Why do you blog?
It’s my therapy. If I moaned and whinged any more I wouldn’t have any friends left. So, because I value my friendships, I make you lot read this stuff instead.
2. If you could have one person in particular, living or dead, real or fictional, read your blog, who would it be?
Johnny Depp reading my blog in full Willy Wonka garb eating a red rabbit shaped jelly. Issac Asimov would be an honour.
3. What childhood game or activity had the biggest impact on you?
Monopoly. I realised money does not make you happy – it makes you smug (when I say ‘smug’, I mean my big brother). I realised the road to happiness was for me to follow my passion. The fact I made money from my passion (design and art) is a blessing.
4. When something great happens, how do you celebrate?
I call my Mum and tell my children – they give me the most honest responses. I bounce up and down and talk a lot until I’m calmer. Then I blog and tweet about it.
5. If the world had to be ruled by either cats or dogs, which would you choose and why?
Cats. Dogs are too stupid and humanity would be reduced to a life of scooping poop.
6. If you could play the lead role in any movie you’ve seen what would it be?
A Jedi; an Autobot in Dark side of the Moon or a spell churning, kick ass Manga cartoon with spiky hair. Basically someone who isn’t afraid – a departure from reality.
7. If you had to eliminate one technological achievement, what would it be?
The Super Axe Hacker – think it’s a fictional machine created by Dr Seuss? Think again, look at the mess they’re making in the Amazon. Bastards. Does the Fax machine count as an achievement?
8. Name a pivotal point in your life.
I can remember so clearly the moment when letters became words. I learned to read and a new world opened up for me. I fell in love and have been besotted ever since.
9. What is your favorite candy or treat?
Chocolate – the good stuff. Hotel Chocolat and Charbonnel et Walker make the best. I also like Parma Violets.
10. If you could visit a time in history, when would it be?
When dragons roamed the countryside. When Hobbits, Elves and Fairies went on wild quests with centaurs and enchanted trees pointed the way. I’d love to see them in their heyday rather than snatched moments at twilight. Besides, there’s a tooth fairy that owes me some money.
11. If Ben & Jerry named an ice cream after you, what would it be called?
The Zak Boom Floomer – it would be chocolate ice-cream with strawberry ice cream swirls and the centre would have chocolate covered popping candy.
11 questions for my choice of Liebster Award recipients:
- What never fails to make you laugh?
- If you were talking to a stranger with a bogie up their nose would you tell them?
- What would be your superpower?
- Fact or fiction?
- If you encountered an alien, what would you do/say?
- What’s the most scared you’ve ever been?
- Who catches you when you fall?
- Name the one question you would like to have answered?
- What’s your biggest regret?
- Peter Pan wants to take you for a flight. What’s your happy thought?
- What will be happening in 10 years?
Passing the Liebster flame.
I’ve chosen six out of 22 blogs I follow, which I think meet the criteria of not having more than 200 followers and I never miss a post. Please don’t be offended if I have this wrong! I think they deserve this award because whether they give useful information or a laugh; they never fail to give me something. The thread that runs through them all is their voice. All written from a very human and real point of view – like chatting with a friend.
Thanks you bloggers, have an award!